Mark Nesmith, Original Oil Painting, Sam Houston statue, Huntsville, Texas


"Sam Houston"
Mark Nesmith
Oil on Canvas
10" x 8"
2011
Click here to purchase this painting. Starting bid is just $40.00!
My little painting of the big Sam Houston statue in Huntsville still needs a home.  I've mainly been a landscape painter for most of my adult life, but one of the neat things about the small daily style paintings to me is the freedom I feel to branch out and paint whatever captures my fancy at the time.  My family and I always look for the big Sam Houston statue on our road trips down to Houston and Beaumont to see family.  It's kind of a half-way there landmark.  We've stopped with the kids a few times to walk the trail and see the visitors center, and my bandmates and I once hoisted our friend up on the pedestal by Sam's feet for a picture. Back in college I did alot of mixed media artwork based on images of Greek, Roman, and Mayan sculptures.  Sam Houston was part of a small series of paintings based on Texas sculptures and monuments.  I did a painting of Big Tex from the State Fair and of the Walking Man from Deep Ellum, but Sam Houston is the only one still hanging on my wall.  Let's find Sam the home he deserves!
Please visit http://www.marknesmith.com/ or Paint Daily Texas to view more of my work.  Thanks!

Comments