Jimmy Longacre_subjective realist landscape paintings_FEELING AND PREPARATION


Here is the sketch (12x12, and the finished painting (16x20).  I decided to make it into a horizontal composition to introduce more context for what felt to me like an overly dominant capital building.  I also brightened the color relationships a bit.  I used to resent doing sketches in preparation for larger paintings.  I just wanted to get with it, and it seemed like a burden to have to paint a subject again.  It isn't really the case, though.  As I became more interested in capturing the feeling I want in a subject, it began to be an enjoyable exploration of possibilities.  I've also found it to be an invaluable rehearsal for having more fun with the larger painting, since I have a better idea of what I'm trying to do.  

RAINSHINE
©Jimmy Longacre 2015
16x20 oil on canvas panel

Jimmy Longacre
subjective realist landscape paintings


GALLERY LINKS

Comments