Jimmy Longacre_subjective realist landscape paintings_ PAINTING THE LIGHT

Painting the light is what I'm trying to do in my landscapes. This scene changes dramatically during the day as the sun moves through the sky, and I paint it every now and then. This is one of my favorites. Part of the fun is to select color that is not the expected and then try to relate the values and hues in such a way that I still portray what happens to a scene because of the existing character of the light.  Iin this case, late afternoon on a bright sunny day.  A couple of the main influencers I'm using here is recognizing that color in the foreground will usually be more saturated and contrasty.  Moving into the distance, color tends to get cooler, lighter and grayer.  It's a great exercise for becoming more aware of the beautiful effect of light on my subject.

LATE AFTERNOON
©Jimmy Longacre 2017
12X16  oil on canvas panel

Jimmy Longacre
subjective realist landscape paintings


GALLERY LINKS


Comments