Heron Flats - Aransas National Wildlife Refuge - Original Oil Painting by George De Chiara

Heron Flats - Aransas National Wildlife Refuge
9x12 inches
Oil on Canvas Panel
by
George De Chiara

Click here to bid.

Last week, as a part of our yearly trip to the Texas Gulf Coast, my wife and I went to Aransas National Wildlife Refuge for the day. Even though it was extremely overcast, we had a wonderful time watching all the birds and wildlife. We tried out our new binoculars, which has opened whole new discussion on acquiring more powerful camera lenses. For the first time for both of us,we saw nine alligators in the wild. Luckily, most of them seemed to be content with soaking in the water or sunning themselves on the shore rather than bother us, but it was still a little unnerving to realize the only thing between you and the alligator was some tall grass along the shore. It had rained in the morning and stayed cloudy most of the day, which made for great weather to be outside. I took a few photographs of this spot called Heron Flats after spending a great deal of time studying the landscape because I knew I wanted to do a painting of this area. I really liked the hazy look the rain and clouds produced while we where there, so that's the feeling I attempted to evoke. When we came home, I combined several of my reference photos together in order to create the water pattern running through the painting.

 

 I think I'm going to have to take a new photo of this one once the paint dries a bit. This picture seems to have a lot of glare on it.


Visit my web site and blog to see more of my work.
http://georgedechiara.com


Comments