Walt Whitman, pencil drawing by Kirk Witmer

Pencil portrait - 9x12" on 100lb Bristol
American poet Walt Whitman (1819–92) Author of "Leaves of Grass"

I thought I'd better post something in here before folks started wondering if I'm still alive. As Mark Twain once said, "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated." :)
I'd been thinking for quite some time that if I could improve my drawing skills, it might help me become an even better painter. So I bought a box of pencils to practice with and six months later I finally got around to opening them up. Since then I've done five pencil portraits and this is my fourth. If you're interested you can see the others on my blog.
The source photo for this drawing is known to be one of several taken of Whitman at the time, but he chose this pose as his favorite.

Visit Kirk Witmer Fine Art
Website | Blog
Email the artist at: khwitmer@juno.com


If you'd like to get advance notice of my upcoming works before
they're even listed at auction, click here to submit your email.

Comments