Farm Girl Sunflowers by Texas Artist Nancy Medina

Farm Girl Sunflowers
by Nancy Medina

11X14
Oil on Linen Board

Farm Girl Sunflowers was painted last night after finishing the larger hydrangea painting. Farm Girls hopped onto the canvas and immediately made me think of the flowers that grew on mom's and dad's farm when I was little. The sunflowers were not for show. In fact, I never once recall mom bringing any of them into the house and putting them in a vase. They were never admired by my parents, I think I was the only one in the family who ever loved the giant sunflowers that were planted between the rows of vegetables on our organic farm. The flowers were used to attract insects off of the food crops. They served a very utilitarian purpose. Nowadays I spend tons of money on them and pay grocery store prices, with usually at least two varieties in vases in the studio at one time. I have to make up for all those years on the farm these beauties went to waste!

Comments