Jimmy Longacre_subjective realist landscape paintings_BETWEEN THE LIGHT AND SHADE

I've had the photo-reference for this a long time. I selected it for today's exercise. I'm currently trying to pay close attention to shape and value relationships. With the shapes, I'm practicing getting plenty of variety. No two shapes similar in size and profile. With the values, I'm always trying to group the big simple families of light and dark. This helps to make better mixing decisions that will give the painting impact. This one required some careful value reads for me to unravel what was going on. Once I was satisfied with my rough three-tone block-in (Light grow, Shadow group, and Mid-value group), it was fun just inventing with paint to match the value groups.

BETWEEN THE LIGHT AND SHADE
©Jimmy Longacre 2016
8x8 oil on canvas panel

Jimmy Longacre
Subjective realist landscape paintings
MY WEBSITE
MY BLOG: Paintbox & Easel

GALLERY LINKS
Fredericksburg Art Gallery Fredericksburg TX
Mustang Island Art Gallery Port Aransas TX
Capital Fine Art Gallery Austin TX

Comments