Skip to main content

Bear Creek German Methodist Church, oil painting, V. Bridges Hoyt

Addicks-Bear Creek Methodist Chapel
Harris County, Texas
10x8 inch
oil on linen wrapped board

Contact me here.

The Bear Creek Chapel shown here is one of the oil paintings I will exhibit at The Chisholm Trail Heritage Center in Oklahoma in March-April. I painted this one using my standard limited paint pallette—cad red, cad yellow, cobalt blue and Permalba white. The greens and oranges are mixed from the other colors.

I did a little research on the chapel building. Established in 1879, Bear Creek German Methodist Church served settlers in southeast Texas. In 1884 the Bear Creek community was renamed Addicks—named after Henry Addicks, the town's first postmaster. When I moved to greater Houston in 1968 this small chapel was still in a country setting alongside Hwy. 6, a two lane farm-to-market road that cut through prairie and then a pine forest along the outskirts of Houston. Recent years of development have surrounded the church with wider highways, subdivisions and city trappings. Addicks-Bear Creek Chapel was saved from demolition by adding it to the historical register.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ROUTE by Linda Popple

6x6 Oil and Wax on Panel For purchase information click  HERE .

Jimmy Longacre_subjective realist landscape paintings_CHICKEN IN THE BARN

From a stretch outside San Marcos  where the old way is still hanging on. CHICKEN IN THE BARN ©Jimmy Longacre 2016 6X8 oil on canvas panel Jimmy Longacre subjective realist landscape paintings MY WEBSITE MY BLOG: Paintbox & Easel GALLERY LINKS Fredericksburg Art Gallery Fredericksburg TX Mustang Island Art Gallery Port Aransas TX Capital Fine Art Gallery Austin TX

Taylor Cutaway by Texas Artist Laurie Pace

Taylor Cut Away by Laurie Pace Sold    Philippians 4:6 - "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."    I have not posted here often but will be stopping by. Seems like Texas Artist Barbara Haviland has kept this blog strong.  I will stand in solidarity with her and encourage our other AOT members to join in again.  This Blog was ranked #16 out of the top 80 blogs. My personal one was number #13 in rank.  Texas has some really great artists and I am blessed to be one of them. I know if you see this today, it is really REALLY cold here in Texas.  I am north of the Dallas Ft Worth Metroplex closer to Oklahoma and I am not leaving the house still today!! Stay safe in your journey of today. Praying for all of you that see this blog and read it.  May you be blessed with God's love and great mercy.  Laurie Pace aka Elle Pace WAOW, AOT, OPA Ellepace.com   W...