Day 4 of the 50 day painting challenge - Hay Bales by George De Chiara

Hay Bales
6x6 inches
Oil on Canvas Panel
by
George De Chiara

Click here to bid
.
Opening bid just one cent.

Today, my wife and I went to our sonogram appointment to see our impending baby girl one last time before her birth this August. After the appointment, I drove Marcie to work and ran a few other errands that I needed to take care of today. I also brought along my painting equipment so I could do some work outdoors. When I originally thought of this idea to do 50 paintings in 50 days, one of my first ideas was to do them all en plein air. When I started to narrow down a time frame when I would do this challenge, I got to thinking that it might be a little too hot in the summer in Texas to do this. Well, I'm here to tell you I was right about that. It was HOT today. After each brush stroke I not only wiped my brush clean, but had to wipe the sweat out of my eyes so I could see what I had just painted. I also noticed that the heat made my oil paints very soft, affecting my ability to layer colors onto my canvas. I actually wiped off most of this painting several times while working on it, but I stayed out in the heat working until I had something I was happy with. Unfortunately, I didn't take very many step-by-step photographs of today's work. Between the heat, the mussy paint and wiping large portions of the canvas several time, I forgot to take pictures. I will try to do better tomorrow.

Please note: This image has a lot of glare on it. Try as I might today, this was the best one I could get. I'll update my blog with a better image over the weekend.

Visit my web site and blog to see more of my work.
http://georgedechiara.com

Comments

Popular Posts