Mark Nesmith, Original Oil Painting, "Sam Houston"

"Sam Houston"
Mark Nesmith
Oil on Canvas
10" x 8"
2011
Click here to purchase this painting.

I guess I have giant legends of Texas on the brain right now!  After painting Big Tex from the State Fair of Texas I sank my teeth into this daily oil painting of the huge statue of Sam Houston in Huntsville, Tx.  The sculpture was created by David Adickes and stands 67-ft tall (plus a 10-ft base) and is titled "A Tribute to Courage." It's billed as the world's tallest statue of an American hero (we always say everything's bigger in Texas!)  This was painted alla prima, or wet on wet, and shows the East Texas pine trees in the background against a brilliant blue sky.  Read more about the statue and my painting here.

Thanks for making my art a part of your busy day!  Please visit Paint Daily Texas or www.marknesmith.com.

Comments

Popular Posts