Skip to main content

Kenneth Powell by Suzy 'Pal' Powell

Kenneth was in the 31st NCR (Naval Construction Regiment) Seabee Band, during the Viet Nam era.
he went in November 1966 and got out in March 1970. He got out 9 months early because the war was winding down.  He played at many many parades, including the Rose Parade, and played for Bob Hope, and many other celebrities.  He was stationed in Port Hueneme, California, and I got to be with him the whole time.  We were very blessed.  He traveled a lot...they went to Hawaii three times, Wyoming, Washington, Oregon, etc.  Their main job though, was to play for the battalions leaving for Viet Nam, and the battalions coming home from Viet Nam. He let me go with him a couple of times when an airplane was coming in, but he never let me go for the departures. It was very depressing for him.  To go and play 'Anchors Away' (Aweigh is in some songs) and see them leave, knowing some wouldn't be back. I am very proud of the time he spent honoring those soldiers and our beautiful America.

Ken will be 66 tomorrow, July 1st, and he went in the Navy in '66. So that is why the 66!

This collage painting was done using a 43 year old newspaper clipping that someone sent us before we came home. I wish we had the original!  There is an airplane in the back ground and I may add it.

By the way, For those who don't know, the reason I sign my paintings Suzy 'Pal'  is because Ken always signed his notes and letters, 'Pal'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ROUTE by Linda Popple

6x6 Oil and Wax on Panel For purchase information click  HERE .

Jimmy Longacre_subjective realist landscape paintings_CHICKEN IN THE BARN

From a stretch outside San Marcos  where the old way is still hanging on. CHICKEN IN THE BARN ©Jimmy Longacre 2016 6X8 oil on canvas panel Jimmy Longacre subjective realist landscape paintings MY WEBSITE MY BLOG: Paintbox & Easel GALLERY LINKS Fredericksburg Art Gallery Fredericksburg TX Mustang Island Art Gallery Port Aransas TX Capital Fine Art Gallery Austin TX

Taylor Cutaway by Texas Artist Laurie Pace

Taylor Cut Away by Laurie Pace Sold    Philippians 4:6 - "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."    I have not posted here often but will be stopping by. Seems like Texas Artist Barbara Haviland has kept this blog strong.  I will stand in solidarity with her and encourage our other AOT members to join in again.  This Blog was ranked #16 out of the top 80 blogs. My personal one was number #13 in rank.  Texas has some really great artists and I am blessed to be one of them. I know if you see this today, it is really REALLY cold here in Texas.  I am north of the Dallas Ft Worth Metroplex closer to Oklahoma and I am not leaving the house still today!! Stay safe in your journey of today. Praying for all of you that see this blog and read it.  May you be blessed with God's love and great mercy.  Laurie Pace aka Elle Pace WAOW, AOT, OPA Ellepace.com   W...