Spinner - An Original 7 x 5 Still Life Oil Painting by George De Chiara

Spinner ©
7x5 inches   Oil
George De Chiara

Click here to bid.

This was a pretty fun one to paint. I totally changed up my approach with this painting. I toned the canvas very lightly and let it dry. Then I very carefully drew a rough outline of the shape of the lure, just enough so I knew where everything went and that it was going to fit on the canvas. My goal was to be able to paint the lure without having to repaint the background. This meant I needed to really make sure of every brush stroke I made. I'd love to able say it want like I planned, but there were a few edges that I had to clean up. Rather than adding color to the background, which would have been my normal approach, I used a piece of paper towel dipped in turpentine to wipe off the paint I didn't want. This left the appearance on the background that I was after. I was also able to use this technique with the case shadows to soften the edges of them.


Comments