Skip to main content

Jimmy Longacre_Texas impressionist landscape paintings–PLEIN AIR PAINTING COMPETITIONS_Growth and Frustrations


HOME MEMORIES   11x14  oil on canvas panel
I just returned from The Kerrville Outdoor Painters Event, a four day plein air painting competition.  This was one of my entries in the show.  I didn't receive the Best In Show award this time, but I'm pleased that my painting was selected as one of the winners in the show.  However, for those of you who participate in these events, or if you're thinking of participating in one, I'd like to offer my opinion about the experience.


Winning, or placing in the competition is nice and gratifying, of course, but I don't think it's the primary objective, or benefit.  There is so much to gain from accepting the challenge to do your best in the company of other painters of varying skill levels, and under whatever conditions happen to prevail during the event.  Why?  Because, it can't help but test your skills, raise your confidence level as a painter, and move you more quickly toward your next plateau.  By the way, that's what painting is about, and it never changes.  

While you can't influence the preferences and prejudices of the show judge, wholehearted participation will, without a doubt, make you a better painter, and you will have a wonderful time interacting with other artists, and the public.  Bottom line: It will stretch your skill level, pay-off in the amount of satisfaction you derive from doing something you love to do, and you will have a lot of fun.  I hope you get to win an award now and then, but don't get fooled into focusing on that.  GO FOR IT! 


TITLE OF PAINTING
©Jimmy Longacre 2013
11x14 oil on canvas panel

Jimmy Longacre
contemporary impressionist landscape oil paintings


GALLERY LINKS

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ROUTE by Linda Popple

6x6 Oil and Wax on Panel For purchase information click  HERE .

Jimmy Longacre_subjective realist landscape paintings_CHICKEN IN THE BARN

From a stretch outside San Marcos  where the old way is still hanging on. CHICKEN IN THE BARN ©Jimmy Longacre 2016 6X8 oil on canvas panel Jimmy Longacre subjective realist landscape paintings MY WEBSITE MY BLOG: Paintbox & Easel GALLERY LINKS Fredericksburg Art Gallery Fredericksburg TX Mustang Island Art Gallery Port Aransas TX Capital Fine Art Gallery Austin TX

Taylor Cutaway by Texas Artist Laurie Pace

Taylor Cut Away by Laurie Pace Sold    Philippians 4:6 - "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."    I have not posted here often but will be stopping by. Seems like Texas Artist Barbara Haviland has kept this blog strong.  I will stand in solidarity with her and encourage our other AOT members to join in again.  This Blog was ranked #16 out of the top 80 blogs. My personal one was number #13 in rank.  Texas has some really great artists and I am blessed to be one of them. I know if you see this today, it is really REALLY cold here in Texas.  I am north of the Dallas Ft Worth Metroplex closer to Oklahoma and I am not leaving the house still today!! Stay safe in your journey of today. Praying for all of you that see this blog and read it.  May you be blessed with God's love and great mercy.  Laurie Pace aka Elle Pace WAOW, AOT, OPA Ellepace.com   W...