Skip to main content

My Placement Process by Pamela Blaies

Bronte in a Purple Bow
9" x 12"
oil on linen

I only am able to talk my girls into sitting for me on rare occasions, so when my cousin, Bronte, came to visit and was willing, I was ecstatic. My plan was to take photographs throughout my progress on the painting to show my process, but I got carried away and forgot after just one photo. Anyway, I decided I could still share a little about my beginning process. Here, I toned the canvas with raw umber, then I blocked in the major shapes with raw umber as well. The photo below was taken before I had completed the early block in phase. At this point, I'm only concerned with general placement and not so much with value or drawing. I enjoy this placement method because it feels much freer to me than drawing with lines, it also gives me a more clear idea of what is working and it's much more fun! As I put in the masses, I don't fret about what the shapes look like, I just want to see how they are going to relate in an abstract way on the canvas. I can make big, expressive strokes and because I use one neutral color, there is no problem with things getting muddy if I have to keep wiping it off over and over until I get the proper placement.

Bronte Block In

I love to share my art and inspiration. Click HERE to sign up for my email newsletter and receive a free gift of postcards.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ROUTE by Linda Popple

6x6 Oil and Wax on Panel For purchase information click  HERE .

Jimmy Longacre_subjective realist landscape paintings_CHICKEN IN THE BARN

From a stretch outside San Marcos  where the old way is still hanging on. CHICKEN IN THE BARN ©Jimmy Longacre 2016 6X8 oil on canvas panel Jimmy Longacre subjective realist landscape paintings MY WEBSITE MY BLOG: Paintbox & Easel GALLERY LINKS Fredericksburg Art Gallery Fredericksburg TX Mustang Island Art Gallery Port Aransas TX Capital Fine Art Gallery Austin TX

Taylor Cutaway by Texas Artist Laurie Pace

Taylor Cut Away by Laurie Pace Sold    Philippians 4:6 - "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."    I have not posted here often but will be stopping by. Seems like Texas Artist Barbara Haviland has kept this blog strong.  I will stand in solidarity with her and encourage our other AOT members to join in again.  This Blog was ranked #16 out of the top 80 blogs. My personal one was number #13 in rank.  Texas has some really great artists and I am blessed to be one of them. I know if you see this today, it is really REALLY cold here in Texas.  I am north of the Dallas Ft Worth Metroplex closer to Oklahoma and I am not leaving the house still today!! Stay safe in your journey of today. Praying for all of you that see this blog and read it.  May you be blessed with God's love and great mercy.  Laurie Pace aka Elle Pace WAOW, AOT, OPA Ellepace.com   W...