Skip to main content

The Color of Light by Pamela Blaies

Orchard Apples
10" x 8"
oil on linen

I chose the different kinds of apples for their varied colors, because although this painting is about light, I wanted it to feel colorful. Creating light on canvas with oil paint often involves sacrificing color because adding white makes color less saturated.  However, using color temperature along with value can achieve not only more colorful paintings, but also pretty dramatic light effects. It might be a little difficult to see in the photo, but the brightest highlights that seem white are actually clearly identifiable colors when you look closely. The dark red apple's highlight is cobalt blue, the bright red's is viridian and the bottom apple has a cool pink highlight. Since the temperature of the color in the highlight is cooler and has a dramatic value contrast to the local color of each apple, they read as bright light reflections that are more interesting than simply white.

I love to share my art and inspiration. Sign up for my email newsletter and receive a free gift of postcards.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ROUTE by Linda Popple

6x6 Oil and Wax on Panel For purchase information click  HERE .

Jimmy Longacre_subjective realist landscape paintings_CHICKEN IN THE BARN

From a stretch outside San Marcos  where the old way is still hanging on. CHICKEN IN THE BARN ©Jimmy Longacre 2016 6X8 oil on canvas panel Jimmy Longacre subjective realist landscape paintings MY WEBSITE MY BLOG: Paintbox & Easel GALLERY LINKS Fredericksburg Art Gallery Fredericksburg TX Mustang Island Art Gallery Port Aransas TX Capital Fine Art Gallery Austin TX

Taylor Cutaway by Texas Artist Laurie Pace

Taylor Cut Away by Laurie Pace Sold    Philippians 4:6 - "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."    I have not posted here often but will be stopping by. Seems like Texas Artist Barbara Haviland has kept this blog strong.  I will stand in solidarity with her and encourage our other AOT members to join in again.  This Blog was ranked #16 out of the top 80 blogs. My personal one was number #13 in rank.  Texas has some really great artists and I am blessed to be one of them. I know if you see this today, it is really REALLY cold here in Texas.  I am north of the Dallas Ft Worth Metroplex closer to Oklahoma and I am not leaving the house still today!! Stay safe in your journey of today. Praying for all of you that see this blog and read it.  May you be blessed with God's love and great mercy.  Laurie Pace aka Elle Pace WAOW, AOT, OPA Ellepace.com   W...