"Desert Waves" 36x60, Oil on Canvas by Dawn Waters Baker

"Desert Waves" 36x60, Oil on Canvas

Working steadily here in my studio for my solo show coming up in September from my residency at Big Bend National Park back in November of 2015. It was an incredible month of beautiful weather. The Rangers had just told me how lucky I was to see such weather in one month. This storm was rolling through. The next day the floor of the desert would be filled with cloud and mist as if the whole world were cloud. I pulled off the side of the road heading back to my cabin to take a shot of the clouds rolling over the Dead Horse Mountains. The air was humid and the wind was picking up. The light was like one thin line across that bumpy horizon. I wondered how long I would need to stand there until it took me in and I was covered in smoke.

Comments