DESIGNING FOR WARM AND COOL COLOR

Avoiding the trap of trying to paint the scene as I saw it allows me to express what really captures my interest in a subject.  First of all knowing why I want to paint the subject is central to everything I'm going to do.  I recently read a quote that rings very true to me: Design is doing everything for the sake of the one thing.  Designing the big shapes and values is the key to self expression.  If I get those right, what colors I choose to paint them is up to me.  The main thing I try for, when it comes to color, is the arrangement of warm and cool temperatures rather than mixing accurate colors.  It not only harmonizes the colors, but it opens the door to atmosphere and depth.  

MORNING ENCHANTMENT
©Jimmy Longacre 2017
12x24 oil on canvas panel

Jimmy Longacre
subjective realist landscape paintings


GALLERY LINKS

Comments